The aim of MASQ is to promote the exchange of information on the marine aquarium hobby for the benefit of hobbyists and the marine environment. We meet almost every month to see other aquariums, learn from each other and to socialise with others who have the same interests as ourselves.
As part of the Marine Aquarium Societies of Australia Incorporated we also try and uphold the mission statemnt;
- To act as an information resource for all Australian marine aquarists, whether part of a marine aquarium society or not.
- To bring the marine aquarium hobby together within Australia, to allow growth and sharing of knowledge and expertise.
To work with all relevant organisations, both national and international, in order to;
- Educate, inform, and support best practises for sustainability, and
- Encourage captive propagation and thereby encourage advances in marine aquarium husbandry and further reduce collection impact on the environment.
- To offer assistance to hobbyists in the establishment and ongoing administration of local marine aquarium societies.
To actively promote sustainable practices in the hobby, including, but not limited to:
- captive propagation, both recreationally and commercially, and
- drastic reductions in mortality rates during collection, handling and holding of animals within the commercial sphere of the hobby.
- To act as a political voice at both a state and federal level on issues pertaining to marine aquarium keeping.
- To provide common online resources to enhance the feeling of community amongst reef keepers.
MASQ holds regular events during the year one of which is the annual MASQ Frag Fest. At these meetings people learn about the sustainable use of corals, methods of fragging corals and safety whilst fragging during the course of the day. At these meetings everyone walks away with anywhere from 10-20+ coral fragments for their tanks, some of which people still have growing successfully years later and able to redistribute amoungst other members.
Please like and follow our MASQ facebook page